Creating Space & YO! Project
Youth development through education and outdoor adventure
find us on facebook under yo & creating space
or independence drop in & diner
Creating Space is a non-profit making Organization based in the Derry/Londonderry area. Although our youth outreach work has being ongoing since 2008, Creating Space & its associated YO! Project was formally established April 2010 with the Independence Youth Drop In & Diner facility opened in 2014.
Our MISSION is centered upon CREATING SPACE for the PERSONAL, SOCIAL and EMOTIONAL development of YOUNG PEOPLE "AT RISK" or those MOST IN NEED.
Our MAIN OBJECTIVE is to
CREATE AND PROMOTE OPPORTUNITIES FOR ALL YOUNG PEOPLE TO REACH THEIR FULL POTENTIAL.
We DELIVER for:
- Youth programs & projects.
- Community & Statutory providers
- Corporate Teams & Small Business
- Festivals & Events
- Private parties.
- Training & Placement Providers
Our OUTDOOR ADVENTURE activities are designed to:
- improve communication skills
- build confidence
- institute planning & problem solving processes
- foster relationships and leadership
- encourage creativity
- break down barriers
- develop resilience and determination.
- ...... or just provide FUN!
Our SOCIAL EDUCATION initiatives target:
- Capacity building
- Community Relations
- Politics, Identity & Culture
- Global Citizenship
- Educational Visits & Tours
- Interactive Learning Experiences.
- Youth Intervention and Diversion
- Youth Crime & Prevention.
Although no longer under our direct management the development and institution of our Drop In & Diner facility provided:
- A physical "created space" which young people could utilise.
- A "neutral" and "shared" space through which young people could integrate.
- A relaxed, informal and "fun" environment through which projects and programs could be delivered.
- A transitional yet "real" working environment in which young people (and adults alike) could gain experience and expertise within the catering, hospitality and customer care industry: through employment training initiatives, volunteer placements and work experience opportunities.
- Accredited training courses e.g. Food Safety, H&S in the Workplace
- A social economy element through which resources were hoped to be realised to finance continued youth provision and opportunities and future sustainibility.
All initiatives also afford a core YOUTH MENTORING element though our:
Volunteer Development Program
Training & Development Program
Unique PARTNERSHIP delivery .....
Although we effectively implement programs and projects on our own behalf; a great deal of our work is based upon the development and delivery of youth based initiatives for community providers and statutory bodies; who, although having financial resources available, do not have the extended human resources or specialized expertise available to them. Or, quite simply, they are already trying to "juggle" numerous tasks and targets and need their project or program to be:
- Delivered efficiently
- Within budget
- Tailored to meet targeted objectives
- "STRESS FREE" !
We work with you to develop a program tailored to your individual needs then ...
- Provide your program or activity timetable
- Draw up a financial proforma within your budget
- Provide all necessary staff & volunteer cover
- Book your activities, workshops, tours and visits
- Provide all necessary instructors, coaches or facilitators
- Book all transport provision.
- Source suitable venues where necessary
- Provide you with photographic evidencing throughout....... or just "pick & mix!"
- Provide a safe and professional environment for volunteer, employment or work experience placements.
- Offer a diverse range of placement opportunities.
- Provide "in house" training opportunities and a mentoring service.
- Have all necessary insurance and policies in place.
The majority of our work is undertaken with marginalized young people 11 - 25 years from designated areas of socio-economic deprivation, those deemed as "at risk" , those identified as"in need" and/or young offenders.
As a result, a high percentage of our business is from repeat customers and referrals
We would welcome the opportunity to earn your trust and deliver you the best service possible
to meet your needs.
Unit 12 A
Campsie Industrial Estate